Friday, November 11, 2011

Veterans

     I talked to many interesting veterns today. Most of them were really old so I had to lean in to hear them. I tried to pick people to listen too who looked like they talked a whole bunch because some veterans stand there and wait for you to ask them questions, and a lot of times i don't know what to ask, but others, especially the old ones, explain and tell stories about their experiences, and i enjoy listening to the latter breed of veteran more. one of the guys I talked to was a bombadier in WWII and I thought it was funny that he held the same position Yossarian did in Catch-22. This particular veteran talked a lot about how his plane worked and how German antiaircraft missles worked and other interesting stuff like that.
     I also talked to another old guy who was trained in horse warfare and stuff, and as soon as he arrived in europe he was sent to Japan to fight the war there but the atomic bombs dropped so he didn't have to fight there either, anyways he was really grateful about the atomic bombs and he said that if they hadn't been dropped, he probably wouldn't have survived.
     The last guy I talked to wan't that old. he was the navy seal guy. he talked a litte bit about his deployment and stuff but pretty much everyone there wanted to hear about his training. He explained that they had to swim for seven miles with his arms and his feet bound and eat shells on the ocean floor or something every day for 6 months, and it sounded really intense. The thing was that as he explained how greuling his training was, he said it kind of nonchalantly, not like he was complaining, but also not like he was bragging about having went through it, more like he was simply enjoying the act of explaining.
    Anyways, good job vets, way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment